Friday, February 11, 2005

Dante-related art

I found this link to some paintings relating to the Divine Comedy. Since I mention Dante as frequently as I do, I post this as a sort of general illustration for my numerous references and allusions to him who was "de li altri poeti onore e lume" (Inferno I:82).

Also, I am posting this painting of Paolo and Francesca , by Anselm Feuerbach. This is based on the famous story related in Canto V of Inferno, and it adorns the cover of Dante in Love, by Harriet Rubin, which was published last year and quickly assumed a secure place on the list of my favorite books. I loved the painting, although I suppose one unfamilar with the Comedy would, upon seeing it for the first time, be hard-pressed to believe it is based on such a tragic story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home