Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Paul Greenberg on what he should have learned

In about three weeks I will observe my 55th birthday. (Note that I chose that word instead of celebrate.) I'm not exactly an ancient relic, but I am neither as young nor as healthy as I used to be, and I am realizing more and more that my youth is gone forever. To paraphrase Dante, the arc of my years is clearly descending. But a lot has happened during those 55 years, some of it very good, much of it not so good.

I am naturally inclined to thoughtful introspection, and by now I hope I have acquired at least a measure of wisdom during my restless and difficult journey. Last week I told my friend Michelle about a newspaper article I had read earlier that day, which in turn was about letters middle-aged women had written to their younger selves, all of which had then been compiled into a book. I told her I might do that myself one of these times, and now that I think of it, I might post the letter right here on my blog.

Meanwhile, today I came across this column in today's Jewish World Review. It's by Paul Greenberg, who has long been one of my favorite columnists. I think he is a bit older than I am, but having read this piece, I believe he would understand why someone would want to write a letter to his or her younger self.

1 Comments:

Blogger Barney said...

Garry

Perhaps my father-in-law's obituary will help. He passed away yesterday. "Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light." That was Dave. You can read his obit at Odd Bits.

Best,

Barney

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home