Friday, May 14, 2010

On Dr. Johnson's musings

While visiting Jewish World Review today, I came across this article about one of my favorite books of all time: Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, which was published near the end of the 18th century and is considered one of the classics of English literature, as well as one of the finest biographies ever written. I hope the column will encourage at least a few individuals to take a stab at digesting Boswell's opus, and in my case, this piece did evoke a smile or two, partly because of one of the author's final observations. He wrote, "I’m not expecting you to run out and read it — it took me months, and I think you have to be a certain sort to finish." Virtually everyone who has ever known me agrees that I am a bit "different," in one way or another; and if the columnist's observation is true, perhaps I do indeed qualify as being "a certain sort." I have read The Life of Samuel Johnson twice, all the way through, and it is on the short list of books I want to reread sometime in the not-distant future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home