Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Pope's language watchdog

I have been trying to decide what to do with my time this summer, after my wife and daughter leave for Utah in a few weeks to escape the heat in the Phoenix area. One serious possibility is that I may purchase a copy of Wheelock's famous treatise and start learning Latin, a language which has long fascinated me. I'll have plenty of time to devote to it, after all; and because Latin is much more concise than English, perhaps it will even make me a little less verbose than I am now, although that may be expecting a bit much. Also, because I love Spanish and Italian as much as I do, I figure I might as well invest some time in acquainting myself with their common source.

I found this article in today's Deseret Morning News and thought it worth passing along. This is about one of Pope Benedict XVI's aides, who is a sort of Latin factotum for the Vatican. I will let the article speak for itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home