Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Pope's language watchdog

I have been trying to decide what to do with my time this summer, after my wife and daughter leave for Utah in a few weeks to escape the heat in the Phoenix area. One serious possibility is that I may purchase a copy of Wheelock's famous treatise and start learning Latin, a language which has long fascinated me. I'll have plenty of time to devote to it, after all; and because Latin is much more concise than English, perhaps it will even make me a little less verbose than I am now, although that may be expecting a bit much. Also, because I love Spanish and Italian as much as I do, I figure I might as well invest some time in acquainting myself with their common source.

I found this article in today's Deseret Morning News and thought it worth passing along. This is about one of Pope Benedict XVI's aides, who is a sort of Latin factotum for the Vatican. I will let the article speak for itself.

1 Comments:

Blogger JMichaelPaul said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the article about the Pope's language watchdog.

"His sometimes intemperate outbursts of personal opinions apparently are offset by an expertise that has enabled him to survive and to serve four popes over 36 years."

The above statement offers us an important lesson. If you develop a unique talent and a valued talent, then the world will value you and permit you to be unique.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home