Monday, May 09, 2005

The Case for a Creator reviewed

Julie, at Happy Catholic, has posted this review of Lee Strobel's latest book, The Case for a Creator. All of Mr. Strobel's works figure prominently on my list of books that I want to get around to reading sometime in the near future, and this one looks like it will be very interesting indeed. A hat-tip to Julie for a fine review, which of course is something to be expected on a site as good as hers.

While reading her article, I reflected back on an experience I have always cherished. Back in 1970, when I was in the process of deciding whether to cast my lot with the Mormons and be baptized into the faith, the missionaries gave me a little book, written by Dr. Henry Eyring, titled The Faith of a Scientist. Dr. Eyring, who passed away in 1981 at age 80, was an internationally-renowned chemist, and the father of Elder Henry B. Eyring of the Council of the Twelve. (Incidentally, he was also a brother-in-law to President Spencer W. Kimball.) My high-school chemistry textbook featured an article about Dr. Eyring, and mentioned specifially that he was deeply religious, and generously devoted his time and means to his church. I have always been easily drawn to people who manage to combine intellect with spirituality, so Dr. Eyring quickly established himself as one of my first Latter-day Saint heroes. (Later, on two different occasions, I had the privilege of meeting him.) In essence, the book was a sort of personal testimony about his inability to find any real conflict between true science and true religion, both of which, in his view, concerned themselves with the eternal verities of the universe. I read the book several times, and of course eventually joined the Church as well, comforted in the assurance that a church good enough for someone like Dr. Eyring would also have a place in it for me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barney said...

I have felt the same way about Neal Maxwell, Dallin Oaks, and Jeff Holland.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

Thanks for the insightful comment. I am trying to figure out how to edit it so I can provide direct links to the webpages you refer to.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home