Saturday, June 11, 2005

Christ and the Samaritan woman

Several years ago, in the Ensign, I saw a wonderful picture of Christ with the woman of Samaria, based on the story found in chapter 4 of John's Gospel. I have never been able to track down an online version of that painting, but this one comes close to being as good:



In the course of today's online wanderings, I found this image as well:



I share these with you today for no particular reason, other than the fact that I often reflect on this story, as well as on Dante's allusion to it:

"La sete natural che mai non sazia
se non con l'acqua onde la femminetta
samaritana domando' la grazia
mi travagliava . . . "


("The natural thirst that never can be quenched
except with that water the woman of Samaria
begged to be given as a special grace
tormented me . . .")

-- Purgatorio XXI:1-4

1 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

Once I decided to look up the word Island (and all variations of it) in the scriptures - it was interesting to note that God never forgets those even upon the isles of the sea. He remembers each of us, wherever we are.

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home