Friday, February 03, 2006

Why life is difficult

I once read a story about a Mercury astronaut's response when asked what part of his spaceflight had been the most difficult. "The part between liftoff and splashdown," replied the astronaut.

Sometimes I feel that way about my own life, which, as my grandmother once remarked, has consisted pretty much of one crisis after another ever since I was in high school; and I constantly wonder why it has to be so relentlessly difficult. Today I came across this column in Jewish World Review, which provides some possible answers. Although I have some minor theological differences with the opinions and views of this rabbi, the basic thrust of his argument rings true with me, and is consistent with what my own church teaches.

A friend once reminded me of the passage in scripture which tells us that the Lord chastens those whom He loves. I responded by saying that in that case, I really would not object if He would just love me a little less for, say, the next 25 years or so. But I don't suppose that is in the program, so I'll continue to soldier on and do the best I can with my circumstances.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

Amen, dear brother, amen! Would be nice to get a break from it, huh? Yet, onward we go.

Love you -

10:56 AM  
Blogger Barney said...

I've posted about an Abraham story and your post on OB3. As Nietzsche said, "Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger." Likewise, if I've learned from the mistakes in my life, I've learned a lot. Cheers!

1:31 PM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

Thanks. I told a co-worker the other day that I know I would not be where I am now if I didn't have my law degree, my language proficiency, AND a somewhat checkered life. In other words, all three of those things have sort of proven to be necessary. So things have finally managed to work out okay for me on the employment front, at least. Now, if only we can deal with Sheila's depression, and Colin's problems. . . .

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home