Friday, December 09, 2005

Scot Proctor on photography

It is unlikely that I ever would have become a serious photographer had it not been for the recent advances in digital technology; but fortunately for me, those advances have taken place and will continue, so I have no regrets about having waited until I was in my fifties to take up the pastime in earnest. After all, if I remember correctly, Grandma Moses was nearly 70 when she took up painting.

Thus it was with great interest that I read this article a few days ago in Meridian Magazine. Scot Proctor is one of the online publication's editors, in addition to being a well-known professional photographer, mostly of LDS-related themes. He was interviewed by film producer Keith Merrill about the subject of photography, and in the interview he offers some very good advice to aspiring shutterbugs.

Meanwhile, I have brought my camera with me to work, as I usually do on Fridays, and plan to put it to good use during the noon hour. Apropos of this, a few nights ago my wife, who spends hours on end watching the Home and Garden Channel on television, wondered aloud why she did that. I suggested that it was probably for the same reason her husband likes to stand atop downtown parking garages with a camera and zoom lens and snap pictures of jet planes flying overhead.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvia said...

We all have quirks, huh? :) I'm enjoying your photography hobby! :)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

That's good. Do you have the URL for my Flickr photostream, by the way? I add several pictures to it every week, and you may want to check in on it from time to time. Over the noon hour today, for example, I took some pictures that will probably be added this evening.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Sylvia said...

I do have it - it's in my Favorites! :) I've shared it with a few friends too. :)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Garry Wilmore said...

This morning I wrote to a friend of mine, and told her that in time, I hope to become mortally embarrassed by most of what I have put on Flickr up to this point -- but only because by that time, I hope my skills as a photographer will also have improved enough to justify the embarrassment.

Don't worry, though; I rarely take anything off Flickr once I have posted it there. Last weekend, in fact, I posted new versions of three earlier photos, and left the originals in the photostream for purposes of comparison. However, that being said, a couple of months ago I did remove three or four pictures which had probably only been viewed 10 times among all of them. They were macros of grass in a city park, and I decided they were simply not interesting enough even to myself to justify leaving them in.

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home